- Check slides 10-13 on the history of the internet and evolution of social media. What do you learn from them?
- Social media are quite old. For me a big surprise is that YouTube is younger than Facebook, I expected that YouTube is much older.
- Define the following terms: media, mass-media, digital media, social media and social networking? What are the differences and similarities between them?
- Media: information can go through it
- Mass-media: communicate information to people, including: magazines, newspapers, radio, television, the internet
- Digital media: represent the contents of audio, video and photos that was encoded to play it in computers
- Social media: is a group of internet service allowing mutual connecting people virtually to the Internet, communication and a common activity
- Social networking: is an internet service for registered users, they can share photos, movies, information, chat together… For example Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, LinkedIn, Visible.me
- Social media landscape 2015 – how many platforms do you recognise vs how many platforms do you actively use (and by that I mean to upload content)?
- I recognise: Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, WhatsApp, Messenger, YouTube, Wikipedia, Twitter, Viber, Hangouts, Pinterest, Spotify, Skype, Vimeo, LinkedIn, badoo
- I use: Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, WhatsApp, Messenger, YouTube, Skype
- Check the Edelman Trust Barometer 2015 results. Find the results for your country of origin, Belgium and the worldwide results. What do you observe? Who is trusted the most (businesses, NGOs, media and/or government)? What does this mean for communicators?
The Edelman Trust Barometr is an online survey with 16 years of data. The general online population are people older then 18, the informed public are people 25-64 years old and college educated, the mass population all population not including informed public, it is about 85% of total global population. Most trusted content creators are friends and family. NGO´s trusting was growing in year 2015 in comparison with 2014, business was falling, media was falling for informed public and for general it was growing, government trusting was falling. 78% of the population agree that business must lead to solve problems. Employees are most trusted spokesperson to communicate topics like partnership and treatment of employees/customers.
The office in the Czech Republic is situated in Prague as AMI Communication. The office in Belgium is situated in Brussels and they have 25 multinational employees in the team
- Check out the Greenpeace vs Nestle case study (see slide 38). What did Nestle do wrong?
The only thing what I am thinking what Nestle did wrong is that they allow use their logo “Nestle Killer” for a greenpeace website.
- Watch the videos in the “assumptions” section (slides 42-51) on the digital divide, long tail, cult of the amateur, technological determinism and net delusion. Summarize the main point of the video. Write up in a short paragraph what (as a communicator/marketer) you learn from them.
Technological determinism – “computer makes us stupid”= “car makes us fat”, ruining our lives, if we can use them for other things then yes it is good->are we learning more about ourselves, be more effective
The cult of the amateur – advertising on YouTube – the bad influence, it is the long commercial brand, anarchy, on YouTube they are not professionals, a lot of bloggers (we do not know who is writing)
Digital divide – quality between knowledge, access, useful information, benefits: education, democracy, access to services
Technology´s long tail – 1. Critical price, 2. Critical mass, 3. Another technology, 4. They become nearly free, DVD (expensive->the price went down->almost everybody has it->NETFLIX->cheap price)
- Familiarise yourself with the platforms mentioned on slide 10. Use the example of your home university to explore their use. What are the platforms for? What insight do you gain about your university? Search and clarify the concepts and terms you do not know.
I found about my university that the global rank is 140,580 and 90,9% are Czech.
On google alerts I found the last article about entertainment science park in the city called iQLandia and my university has opened one exposition there.
- What are the most active age groups on the most popular social media platforms – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Tumblr…
The most active age group is the group 18-29 years old.